Trying a bit of Dyeing

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Yesterday I decided to play around with dyeing a small piece of fabric. I have been intrigued by it for awhile.
This is what I want to do next:
I thought since the piece is called "Jane Austen Love Letter," it would be cool to try dyeing the fabric to give it an old look.
Part of me was nervous. I didn't want to wreck the fabric because it is one I have
loved working with and I have another quick stitch project
 that I could use the leftover piece on. It is 28ct. French Country Latte.
 
The other part of me said what have you got to lose. 
Following Vonna's steps made it really easy.
I did use both tea and coffee to stain it. Because it is such a small piece of fabric, it was only in the oven for 15 minutes and then another 7. It was almost completely dry then.


 
I was really surprised how quickly it went and how much it dyed the linen.
Before I put it in the oven it didn't look all that mottled.
 
This picture has less natural light on it and you can see how it took the stain.
 
Here it is after I ironed it.
Pretty cool!
But maybe a tad too dark for the Love Letter.
So I placed it in the sink in cold water for 30 seconds or more to soak.
 
Here it is dry and ironed.
A little more subtle and not so bold.
A complete transformation from the first picture.
I will definitely try this again for the right project and play around more with the bunching up of the fabric in the oven.
Maybe certain areas are still to prominent.
 
If any of you have tried this, please share your tips or suggestions with me!
 
Have a blessed day!
Victoria
 
 
 

3 comments:

Fiona said...

I love how your fabric turned out and will have to give it a try.

Miss LindaLee said...

Oh Victoria! I absolutely love the way this piece of fabric came out. Before as well as after you soaked it in water. A fantastic job. I'll have to check out the directions and see what I can do also. You've inspired me!
LindaLee from
CrossN' My Stitches

cucki said...

Wow it is looking wonderful..I will try that too.
Big hugs Cucki x