Everyone's in the Pocket!

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

This past weekend I flew out to VA to receive my Mother's Day gift from
my oldest son. As part of the time we spent together,
I got to see him graduate from Firefighter School.
He received the honor of being top student!
 
The next day we went to his training school so he could show me where he had done practice burns, jumped out of a window onto a ladder, and crawled through very narrow pipes with all his gear. I gained a deeper appreciation for all those willing to train and serve as firefighters.
The training is super intensive and the on-call risks are truly sacrificial!
 
 
Because he knows I like Harper's Ferry, we went up there to visit for a morning.
The last time we were here, we hiked up to the top of those rocks. Unfortunately, it was too humid to do it again this time. The view is spectacular!
 
 
The Jefferson Rock
 
Looking back on the town and where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet
 
And this is John Brown's fort, where Brown took possession of the armory and the first rumblings of the Civil War started.
 
Sunday we drove the 14 hours home, talking, laughing, and listening to a little Josh Turner.  
I spent a good part of that drive time getting back to work on this: 

I am so very thankful for the fabulous gift-trip!
 
So now for a brief time everyone is home.
We've been catching each other up, laughing a whole lot, and working together too.
My oldest son was glad strawberry season is so late here so he could help pick.
 
 
 
Before I know it, the pocket will be emptying out again as one leaves for college in 5 weeks, one gets married in 8 weeks, and one leaves for his next step on the path of career and service.
 
In the meantime I'm going to stitch some memories of special family moments in my mind
and treasure my full pocket!
 
Simply,
Victoria
 
 
 

5 comments:

cucki said...

Aww such a sweet post..
Congrats to your son ..
Such a sweet town..I love it and your stitching piece is so cute..
Big hugs x

cucki said...

And thank you so much for my sweet gift..I will treasure it always,,
You so sweet..
Love you dear friend.
Hugs x

Shirlee said...

You have a lot to treasure & be thankful for, my friend! Congratulations to your son on graduating from firefighter school! How very proud he looks, & I know you & your family are beyond proud of him! I pray that he will have not only a successful career but a safe one : ) Lovely photos ... thanks for sharing! Your stitching project looks lovely & those strawberries look delicious!

Tricia said...

How nice to be able to see his graduation! And what a busy mom you are right now!! My DD is home from college about the time your schedule frees up. LOL! We are quite the pair!! Enjoy your time with the family today!!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of my dear friend, rejoicing in her time with her wonderful family, and wishing I was there to help pick strawberries with everyone! Love ya! A. L.