Last weekend as we were on our way to the college visit for my 20 yr. old dd, we had all of 20 minutes to stop in at the site of Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox before it closed. Here is the house where it all took place.
And the room
Can you imagine being the woman of the house, with fighting going on in the vicinity, and having 16 men come in to do their negotiations and business in your parlor while you and your family are in an upstairs bedroom waiting until they are done? Never imagining the significance of the history that took place downstairs? What a very different world it was!
Down in the basement kitchen was a sampler in a back corner. Please excuse the quality as the only camera of sorts was my dh's phone and we were out in the hall.
It says "Teach me thy way, O Lord." Not that you can tell, but it truly was beautiful! It would be a shame if no one would ever reproduce it. I have been thinking about it all week and wondering if I can get back to feast my eyes on it again when we take dd to school in August.
Here is what I took along and have been working on as of late. I needed something sweet and simple!
I have tried once to get back to "The Old West" and have found more frogging to be done. I dropped it immediately. Good Grief!!! I really have some major issues with it for whatever reason. If it weren't for my darling son, I would put it in basket until who-knows-when and forget about it. Why is it that there are some of those stitching pieces that are just trouble from beginning to end? Please, tell me that it isn't just me!
On another note, if any of you are also Austen lovers, have you seen The Primitive Hare's latest? Oh, she has such a unique style and I wish that I needed a new project to purchase! I love it in both of her dyed fabrics.
I had to share one of Isobel's photo. Isn't it lovely?! She has many other photos worth viewing as well.
She also has some pretty P&P thread keeps. And I just saw she has a brief sale going on. sigh...
Well, self discipline must reign - no shopping and on to do some mild Pilates.
Thanks for visiting with me and joining me in my ramblings!
Joy to you!
Victoria




6 comments:
everything is so so pretty..
lovely stitching x
"Teach me the way Oh Lord" is beautiful. Yes it should be re-charted. Lovely photos and I like what your stitching, Love Jane Austin too:) Great new charts you ordered. love Annette
Hi Victoria! Thanks for sharing the history, love it.
I love visiting museums and art galleries, but living in a household of men I usually visit them on my own. It looks like the house would be very interesting and there might be lots of hidden treasures to see.
I have seen Isobel's beautiful design and love the grey fabric option. Like you I will have to wait and save my ££ before I can treat myself.
Hi Victoria! I have just briefly glanced at some of the posts you've made here on your blog & I'm already enjoying being here : ) I will have to take some time looking back & reading everything : ) I'm so happy you are one of the winners in my giveaway! I tried emailing you but have not received a response so I'm worried the email did not get to you. I need your mailing address so please get in touch with me so I can mail your package : )
Love the house and the interior pics, too. VA has the best places to visit. Car try to hit a museum or plantation or other historical place every time we head "home" to VA to visit my folks.
Lovely stitching!
Post a Comment