How is everyone? Thought I share this quick pic out my kitchen window.
Ready or not winter is on the way.
My oldest son just told me it is suppose to get down to 16°F tonight.
That is soooo cold!!
My youngest kiddos were watching the rain turn to snow this morning and cheered when it was finally sticking to the ground. As for me, my head is still somewhere in October. I keep thinking I want to stitch one more autumn piece. I probably won't start one as I am trying to keep up with knitting the Christmas afghan gift for the newlyweds as well as work on the stitched ones I have started.
I did finish the Ever Blessed SAL last week. Walmart had no purchase-worthy fabric, so I will pop out tomorrow to the quilt shop for $2 Tuesday for all fat quarters.
I will post that one when it is completely complete.
I did get a chance to try dyeing some linen with black walnuts.
I used an old knee-high nylon and put the walnuts in it.
That way I didn't have to strain the liquid after boiling.
Next time I will put in more walnuts for this amount of water. It didn't seem to be a deep enough stain.
This is antique white linen, the top one is dyed.
This is Charles Craft tea-dyed linen with a piece of it walnut dyed on top.
The lighting wasn't the best when I took these.
The tea-dyed fabric looks richer with the walnut stain added to it.
All in all the results were so-so.
I do think that I liked the results I got from tea and coffee that I tried earlier this year better though. It gave a mottled effect.
I just read what Nancy over at Victorian Motto Sampler said about dyeing fabric.
She is right about what acid does. I wonder if there is acid in the walnut stain?
Anybody know?
Well, time to start a warm fall to winter dinner here -
Butternut squash and freshly harvested venison loins.
(My oldest son got a 14 pointer with his bow Friday night.)
Maybe some cranberries and apples simmered with cinnamon and brown sugar too.
Keep warm and be blessed,
Simply Victoria
7 comments:
God blesses Wisconsin : ) I think staining/dyeing fabric is an ongoing learning thing for some of us. My last project didn't look well ... the motif just blended into the background ... so I tossed it in a coffee bath. Darkened the fabric, but not enough. I was glad it didn't adhere to the thread. I tried again with black walnut crystals dissolved in water. Two more baths. Darker, but still not dark enough. Once again the dye didn't adhere to the thread. Am I lucky or is this the norm? I SO wish I was there enjoying that snow! We are supposed to get a dusting tonight! I told John I'm going to stay up all night & watch for it : )
Oh dear it's getting cold there and here it is getting warm..
I love drying fabric too..yours is looking so lovely..
Sweet hugs x
Burr!! Oh I hope you get to stay warm and stitch:) I have not tried dying with walnut shells yet. I prefer Rit Dye's. The fabric you did dye looks pretty.
love Annette
Morning Friend
Yipppeee for your son.
How happy he must be.
Dinner sounds wonderful.
So cool the dying process with walnuts.
I like coffee vanilla and cin.
It snow flurring here.
I love snow
Woolie Hugs to you
Yay for snow! :) When I saw the top picture of your walnuts in the water I couldn't figure out WHAT you were cooking for supper!! LOL!! : )
My boys were hoping for snow, but we didn't get anything! Oh well, there is plenty of winter left!! Your fabric looks great ~~ looking forward do seeing what you use it for!
Yup! I keep looking at the very large icicle hanging from our neighbor's garage.
I too was worried about your "cooking picture". ;)
Post a Comment