Blue Jeans

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My oldest daughter LOVES blue jeans. She loves wearing them. She loves buying them. She even loves repurposing them. Way back when, I helped her make a purse out of a pair. For earning a high school home ec credit, she sewed a quilt with jean patches and a soft flannel. She even attempted turning jeans into a skirt once.

 Her latest creation is an idea from Pinterest. She has been collecting a bagful of old jeans, worn out from her dad and brothers, or outgrown or unloved from someone in the house.
 


She had a great mix of light and dark, using front and back pockets as well as some side seams. There are even a couple with rips in them. Silly us, we have been saying things like: "Oh, I remember you wearing those." "That was my favorite pair." "There was your jean skirt." "Look how outdated those light ones are."
 
Here it is all sewn together:


The seams are to be on the top side.

With time the seam will have a really cool frayed look.
 
She thought it would make the perfect Fourth of July, watching-the-fireworks blanket.
What could be more Americana than fireworks and blue jeans?
 And the perfect blanket for her husband-to-be and her to have alfresco lunches on!
 
BTW, we did wedding dress shop last Tuesday and she found "the one!"
Oh, so pretty and such a special time together with her sisters and me.
Now it is on with some of the stressful decision making...
 
We'd love your prayers with all that and also your thoughts or creations that you have made out of repurposed jeans.
I wish you all a joy-filled day!
Victoria
 

5 comments:

Vickie said...

Oooohhhh Vicki! I have just the quilt to show you!! http://astitchersstory.blogspot.com/search?q=stained+glass
Check out that link. It is on my blog from over a year ago. I saved our family's jeans and used some from each of us. It was a real neat project to do. Perhaps your daughter has lots leftover like I did? I may do something else with denim again some day. Or another quilt like this one. I really love it!
I am praying for your daughter and your family in this time of preparation. =)

cucki said...

Wow it is looking so lovely..super pretty idea..
Well done
Big hugs x

Annette-California said...

Fantastic idea your daughter had. When I saw this I recalled a conversation with my Nannie Rose many years ago. I asked her What did she use for the batting in between her quilts? She said she used all her sons old jeans. I recall her beautiful quilts and they were heavy and warm. Back then they didn't have batting that we buy at the stores. Love your daughters blanket. How thrilling she found her wedding gown.
love Annette

Shirlee said...

I love jeans too but I have never thought of making a quilt with them. Your daughter's quilt turned out great! Wonderful idea! And you know you're all in my prayers : )

Fiona said...

What a lovely quilt your DD has created, not only practical but filled with love and memories. I'm sure her dress is beautiful and you probably had a tear in your eye as you looked at her all grown up. Where does the time go, it seems like no time since my children were babies.